The Knights Templar School

The Knights Templar School

The Knights Templar School images

Design and Technology

Our Vision:

For us, Design and Technology involves the students in designing and making products in a wide range of materials in response to a design brief which becomes increasingly open as the student’s experience and knowledge increases.

The subject draws upon and helps develop scientific, mathematical and literacy skills as well as creativity and autonomy.  

We try not to rely too heavily upon our 3D printer or our laser cutters, believing that the acquisition of “hands-on” making skills are still central to understanding and developing effective products for our younger students.  However, industrial practices and the increased use of ICT in designing and making in the modern technological world are reflected in most of our projects.

We believe that Design and Technology helps students’ personal organisation, develops problem solving skills, and makes them more discerning as consumers.

Most of all we want our students to engage in the work, enjoy themselves and design and make products of good quality that they can be proud of.


Staff List:

Mrs C Ellis- Head of Faculty
Mr M Bull – Head of GCSE Design and Technology
Miss C Molinari - Head of Food Preparation and Nutrition, Child Development and Textiles
Miss R Daw – Textiles and Child Development
Mrs E Northcott– Design and Technology and Engineering
Mr N White – Design and Technology

Mr O Micele – Senior Technician
Mrs G Welch – Food and Textiles Technician


Our Courses - an overview:

All students study Design and Technology during Years 7 to 9. They design and make products using a wide range of materials including food, textiles, graphic media, electronic components, wood, metal and plastic. 

At KS4 students have the opportunity to choose to study AQA GCSE Design and Technology. We offer two versions of this qualification, one of which could be broadly described as ‘resistant materials’ and the other focuses on textiles. These GCSEs place great emphasis on understanding and applying iterative design processes. Students will use their creativity and imagination to design and make prototypes that solve real and relevant problems, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.  This iterative design challenge is undertaken in year 11 and makes up 50% of the qualification.

We now also offer OCR Level 1/Level 2 Cambridge National Certificate in Engineering Design Only 25% of this qualification is gained from a formal exam. The other 75% is gained by completing coursework in each of the following areas: product analysis and research, developing and presenting engineering designs and 3D design realisation. Although not a GCSE it carries the same weight and as such can take learners on to study A level Product Design.

At KS5 students have the opportunity to study AQA A level Product Design. This two year course is a natural progression from the GCSE course, but is also suitable for those who have studied the Engineering Design course. In common with the GCSE, 50% of the course is assessed through project work, and 50% through final exam assessment. It covers topics in a greater depth than the GCSE and students have the freedom to explore a project brief in year 13 that they find interesting and challenging.

We also offer A level Textiles. This is a two year course and is suitable for pupils who have studied GCSE Design and Technology or Art. It is a progression on from the Design &Technology GCSE with a similar form of assessment; 50% awarded for project work and 50% through two formal exam papers. It covers many topics within the areas of Fashion and Textiles and has a creative element to the project using problem solving skills and developing practical skills throughout.